Tuesday, August 9

Discovery lands

safely. I was at home in '86, taking the day off to complete a term paper my senior year. I'm glad I was there watching in the tv room, alone in the house instead of at school that day. I was also home -- my parents home -- visiting and using up a few days vacation on an extended weekend in September 2001. My friend in Wisconsin called that morning and had us -- my parents and me -- turn on the tv. So we were watching together in the kitchen when a good part of life fell apart. I'm glad I was there with them then. It's funny how the big events open your eyes to the routine -- and the amazing -- of the everyday.

I'm quite content here this morning, sipping my coffee, perusing headlines, and taking out the paperwork in the inbox for the day's work ahead. These everyday days -- a hot summer morning here -- really add up to a lot, and sometimes the amazing comes off as commonplace. But the memories help with perspective.