Thursday, October 6

October thoughts

Another day nearing its end here at the office. Being a salaried employee means putting in non-traditional hours, and getting the work done -- with diversions and reward breaks -- is the name of the game.

We finally had our cold spell last evening, following a decent rain. The rivers are running fast north of here, and I, for one, am looking forward to the weekend. The foliage on the riverbanks after the cold should make kayaking especially fun, though I'll be using my "skirt" to keep the cooler water off my body, which usually I like. Am even considering getting a used F-150, great prices on the trucks these days. Now I know gas is high, but I would still keep my smaller vehicle for road trips and longer travels. My commute to work is brief, and it would be good to be able to throw 2 or more kayaks in the bed, plus this one I am looking at has a topper. I know the guy selling it, so I am thinking win-win, as it's a good price and well cared for, nice body still.

That's all I have really. Next week is a business agents' meeting for a day and an afternoon, and then a evening PFC hearing scheduled. I've been swimming at a health club with a new saline chlorinated pool, which I love. My dad tells me he thinks chlorine will be the next asbestos, in terms of not really knowing the dangers of a product, so for somebody who has spent a lot of time indoors in the water, this new technology is satisfying. I would never give up swimming, it's a true lifelong sport.

For some reason it feels like a Friday to me, so don't think this is strange taking stock of my week like this. What else? My new place I am really liking too. One of our neighbors down the street is a funeral home; oddly enough, our next door neighbor when we lived in the Florida warehouse was a ... mortician. Didn't find this out for a while until we met and got to know him, but he had a contract with the county and would take bodies in and "bleed" them (drain the blood?) and prep them for burial. It was kind of spooky, but not really. No, we never saw him working, just heard that bay door go up and heard him bringing some one in. Damn, that is spooky now that I think of it. He did have special drains, and was regulated, had to be inspected every now and then.

Birdwise, the geese are on the move, and hopefully this weekend see a lot more. I got (bought) a great picture that Friday afternoon I headed up to CranBerry fest -- a flock silhouetted against an orange sky at sunset, over the water. They show as black figures, but very detailed, some wings up, some down and with the long necks in front. It was a good price (somebody shot it with a digital and framed in black). Size is about 8 x 12, and it's sitting on one of the shelves in my office.

That's all. Thanks again for reading.