Monday, November 7

Wow...

This is an interesting breaking story. I heard on the tv news last night that a young woman was reported missing after taking pictures for her job at Auto Trader, the trade magazine where they come out and shoot a picture of your vehicle for sale. Browsing the newspaper online now, I see one of the last people she apparently met with was a Wisconsin man who had been released recently from prison, after DNA evidence showed he did not commit the sex assault in question. (The man's family owns a junkyard, or "auto salvage" and apparently have had vehicles photos taken before on their property.) I hope the Calumet County Sheriff's team is able to solve this mystery soon, for all involved. Not knowing has to be the absolute worst.
------
Think I mentioned here before that there is a funeral home down the street from my new place. One evening, I returned from work to find a large firetruck parked in front of my brick building. Someone's dinner gone bad?? Then I noticed the whole side street, which parallels the funeral home, was parked with trucks and emergency vehicles from nearby towns. It was the death of a relatively young -- early 50s -- fire official (I forget the exact title), and a large number turned out to honor him at the wake, as there was only a private burial set for the next day.

I'm expecting a full street today too, depending on what time I get home. Heard on the news this morning that a reserve officer who died recently from war injuries was being buried out of that funeral home. As I drove by toward work this morning, there was a large semi -- Black Horse emblem on the back -- parked in the street but twisting as the driver backed up to get into the parking lot. The front of the funeral home was already ringed with American flags set about 5 feet apart -- must have been at least 50 around the property. Two young soldiers in uniform were walking in the parking lot. Leaf blowers were out cleaning the lot and lawns of the gold and reds that had fallen this weekend.

I've been involved in "event planning" in past jobs, and can attest to the many details that go into creating a smooth and successful gathering. Done right, it's taken for granted and participants can focus on the content and not the "minor details" that add up in creating the atmosphere. I read a little about this man's life -- active duty for a number of years, followed by time in the Reserves; a Madison mother proud of her son for participating in rebuilding Iraq for the people; a fiancee who was scheduled to be married a few weeks ago when the man's tour was extended... We sometimes fix on the little details; it brings things home in a way we can relate to as fellow humans.

Today and tonight, my thoughts are with the group gathering down the street to say goodbye to someone they love. I hope they find peace and yes, even joy, in the way they remember this man who lived his life as he saw fit