Thursday, June 1

"...I had to put up some kind of a fight..."

Belated Memorial Day good wishes. Our state appears to have turned into that beautiful heaven on earth we know for about five months. Unfortunately, the camera temporarily is out of commission, so you'll just have to take my word, or come visit if you're not from here.

Has it been a year already? That was one long winter, but all signs so far point to an even more invigorated springtime and summer. (Recordbreaking 90s on what usually averages out to be a rainy weekend, and all the animal life starting to show themselves.)

The garden is finally growing. Wait for Decoration Day, they say... Norm's onions look great; he inspired me to put in some of my own. Lots of Romas which freeze uniformly, grape and cherry tomatoes. The pepper plants are pulling through (it got cold after I put in my plants and they didn't do much considering the early start.) Ruth is doing ok too; going through the motions, but not swallowing much down the few times we visited. Life -- it goes on.

Mostly, it was an outside weekend my body needed. Just enough sun every day for cinnamon skin, fires, early yet sweet corn, a feeling of being in your own skin once again, clean cold rivers, the flea markets kicking up ...

I am proud to be an American; I should mention that more I suppose.