Monday, February 19

New Life

Late last year,
I snipped and rooted this houseplant (forefront) as it was becoming too tall and scraggy, losing leaves from the bottom. I know this type roots well, with a thick quick-growing system that requires a few transplantings as it outgrows containers.

Wish I would have taken a picture in the vase, before I put the original stem back in the dirt. The roots had roots! Watching the delicate growth was interesting to me, and the base of the stem in the large plastic container was pushed into the back of my utility closet, to later reuse the dirt.

After pulling it out end of January after weeks of dormancy, I saw two sprigs of new life, similar to the one in the front shown here. With the snow covering, the cold but sunny days, and selected placement in a southeast facing room, they really took off. Maybe quarter to half an inch growth every day now on these two, just sitting in the sun and soaking up well water.

Live and learn tip to self:
I would have clipped a little higher to the shedding leaves before rooting next time, since we're still a bit straggly. But I think putting it back in with the newly revived original plant will end up filling out the lower spaces nicely as it grows. We'll see in another few months...

Labels: