Friday, March 14

Maybe Susan Estrich should have been the one running for president.*

Because when I heard Hillary Clinton apologized not only for Geraldine Ferraro's comments, but also for her husband -- much belatedly after South Carolina -- I figured she just can't be the fighter we were hoping for. Too afraid, apparently.

I'll never be able to endorse a first-term Illinois senator for the highest country in the land, not in these times. (So don't bother pulling out the Lincoln! details of the mid-19th century please. I'm not ignorant of history; it's just not my first time around so I'm not so easily dazzled by the comparisons.)

Not sure if I'll join the ranks of smarter, wiser people who realize why voting really is a waste of time. (Ask Florida or Michigan voters for that one.) Or if I'll help give Mr. McCain the prize he so desperately wants, that will probably be the end of him. He's not up to the challenges either... Probably much will depend on who he chooses as a running mate, whether I find something better to do next November.

Keep fighting, Hillary. If that's what you call it. Don't understand how you could take time to apologize for honesty, who gave you that advice and why it was taken. Maybe it will be for the best another spectacular Democratic loss in November, and the dissolution of the party as we know it.

Without honesty, without history, without courage ... all the spoils in the world don't mean much, eh?
-------------------------
*No offense, but like some wonderful players turned coaches, it seems she doesn't have that great a winning record as an advisor. Sure there's intelligence there, but somehow it doesn't ever seem to translate in the final score...