Thursday, August 6

R.I.P.

I was never much into teenage angst, and upper-middle class, north-suburban teenage angst, surely not. But John Hughes also directed Planes, Trains and Automobiles,* and that movie makes me laugh.

Screaming Driver, Screaming Driver's Wife:
You're going the wrong way! You're going to kill somebody!

Neal: He says we're going the wrong way...

Del: Oh, he's drunk. How would he know where we're going?

I don't know, maybe that's too untimely if you don't know the movie. But it is a funny one, John Candy and Steve Martin at their best.
Neal: As much fun as I've had on this little journey, I'm sure one day I'll look back on it and laugh.
Del: [giggles] Are you sure?
Neal: [starts chuckling] Oh God. I'm laughing already.
-------------------

*And wrote the screenplay for National Lampoon's American Vacation, starring Chevy Chase. Sad the man will be remembered most for the Molly Ringwald pablum.