Wednesday, December 23

The reason for the season.

Every year it seems, we get a story like this one, reminding us why it's necessary to keep Christ out of the Christmas story, and protect the feelings of minorities in Christian community schools:

When I was a little girl, I was told that I couldn't play Mary in our (public) school play — even though I had the longest hair, which would have guaranteed me the part — because I was Jewish. I went home crying, and my parents pointed out that Mary was Jewish, too.

But not making trouble was the watchword, so I said nothing. From the back row of the chorus, I mouthed the words to the songs with the other Jewish kids and felt a loneliness deep inside because I understood that we were not only different, but somehow lesser. Why should any child feel that?


Sadly, removing Christ's birth from the Christmas story anyplace a Jewish or minority child might be forced to encounter him by way of mandatory attendance (schools/municipal places) won't remove the loneliness of not knowing Christ this season .

Replacing the creche with a newly cut tree; gathering family and friends for food and festivities, but leaving out the shepherds and angels; substituting other gifts for the hope and knowledge that his birth is but a promise, the beginning, the greatest gift from the greatest giver ...

For many in the minority, that's enough. The goodwill trickle down is satisfying, with or without the Nativity Story. For others, there's no denying the power of a deeper belief. Faith is a gift, not easily taken away.

For those already filled with light, keep it shining! For those still reflecting on an unfilled emptiness, don't forget the greatest gift lying there, under the tree.

This Christmas, know Christ's love. Rejoice in the words he taught us:

Our Father
Who Art in Heaven
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Thy Kingdom Come
Thy Will Be Done
On Earth As It Is In Heaven
Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread
And Forgive Us Our Trespasses
As We Forgive Those Who Trespass Against Us
Lead Us Not Into Temptation
But Deliver Us From Evil
Amen


(Deliver Us Lord From Every Evil
And Grant Us Peace In Our Day ...
)