Wednesday, April 14

Will a little more Love make it right?

Columnist Susan Estrich collapses in New York City, and finds herself saved by the acts of a kind-hearted stranger.

Well it gets me nowhere:

It was a hot day. I'd been on a plane for six hours. Nothing to eat. Five cups of coffee. Not much sleep the night before. In my life, what else is new?
...
I worry too much, and sometimes I worry about all the wrong things. I don't trust, I verify.
...
For many years, I thought that if only I worked hard enough, did enough people enough favors, piled up the IOUs and the private numbers, I could somehow protect my loved ones. Of course, it isn't so. There is no amulet, no Rolodex big enough, no place safe enough.
...
I was carrying a purse full of credit cards and money. I was still carrying it when I got to the hospital. I was wearing an expensive watch and a fancy (looking) ring. I was still wearing them when I got to the hospital. She could have slipped off the watch or the ring, or looked in my purse for my ID and found hundreds of dollars and a stack of credit cards. I would not have known or cared.

Instead, she sat with me and protected me until the ambulance arrived. You might say she saved me. That's what I think.

Good luck.