Wednesday, June 23

Pretty much all you need to do...

is smile wider and wave at them.
...
Kid who refused to stand for the Pledge will lead the Northwest Arkansas Gay Pride Parade in Fayetteville:

He will be the parade's youngest grand marshal ever, but he said age shouldn't make a difference.

"Because I'm a person, I may be 10, but I'm a person," said Will Phillips.

Should he have refused the invitation, for fear of linking homosexuals with child abuse, as some worry ?

Or do you see this more as a kid advanced for his age, making a point that 10-year-olds are going to be living in this future world too, and aren't afraid so much what other people think?

I don't go for the stereotypes affirmed in the video at the link (note to photojournalists: drag queens at Pride pics are old -- and not the whole scene), but the kid seems genuine enough to me.

It's worth listening just to hear him say: "Pretty much all you need to do is smile wider and wave at them."

That made me smile here, and no, there's nothing funny about that.