Wednesday, July 28

It's a Beautiful Day.

Don't let it slip away...

It's a good year for broccoli, squash, melons, beans and onions with all the rain we've been tallying lately. The winds, not so good for the corn crops though. My neighbors in the church gardens have several rows down.

American Family has a tent up today, assessing the hail damage in a central location next to the local DOT branch office. Speaking of, I'm still waiting on my new plates, as wouldn't you know -- cars bought at government auction need to be specially processed through Madison, could be up to 6 or 8 weeks, they say...

Which is just as well. You can drive legally with the application taped to the back window, but we have construction up and down main street -- really all the streets -- under the government stimulus funds. The roads needed it, believe me.

In my own gardens, I just keep harvesting the baby broccoli heads, or broccolini, depending on the variety. And there's no trouble weeding anything peeking through the straw, with the ground so wet.

Plus, I jotted a new entry in the "New Things I Learned About Myself" notebook: in clearing out an invasive vine today, a volunteer from last year -- maybe zuccini, maybe pumpkin -- I finally tasted those large orange squash flowers you sometimes see sold at the more sophisticated farmers' markets...

Delicious! I like.
And see the bird with a leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colors came out
...