Thursday, August 19

Thursday happenings.

I read in the local paper last night, the town's presumed quarterback this season got hurt in practice and is expected to be out at least half the season. Bummer. He's a good kid -- excellent leader. And a swimmer, of all things. Went to State the past two years.

In garden news, ("Mary Mary, quite contrary: how does that garden grow?" Comes with the name, trust me.):
I'm trying to keep up with the Romas. But cutting out the slightly pocked skin -- each tomato has one imperfection -- is slowing down the freezing process. Still, I'm thinking Chili Sundays this season with the fresh flavor no canned tomato can bring, and keeping at it. Other edibles: eggplant, celery, bok choi (or something in the family), more broccoli, fingerling potatoes (from the farmers market), and onions onions and more onions, after I dug up a plot and a half, fearing the excess moisture would soften them.

Debating whether to get a half-booth at the Miami BookFest. I've got fine things to sell -- old book collector in these parts, dontchaknow. (Monklike winters) -- but with the crowds, not sure if that's the venue, even if I drive down. It's not the time to get these up on the Internet either. You hate to undervalue quality...

ie:/Heroines of History. 1888. Miller Publishing, out of Chicago. Well written. Leather cover. Finely bound, a nice heft in the hand. Come to think of it, I was the only one in the room who appreciated WaterWorld for that love of paper, too.

Have a fine Friday, if we don't touch base before then...