Thursday, December 30

Things that make you go "Hmmm..."

or "Say What You Mean; Mean What You Say..."

Here's the recent blurb of an updated post on Paul Krugman's economics blog:

Geloiocracy
Geleiocrats of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your dignity.

And here's the post itself:
Geloiocracy
That seems to be the answer to my question about what to call rule by the ridiculous. Thanks for all the suggestions.

If I’m to believe Google Translate, this should be pronounced Gay-Lee-ocracy; but would Ancient Greek be different?


Hmmm. I know the winter weather has everyone flustered, and there was that quick update too...
Update: Yes, in the tradition of gerontocracy, I guess we should Anglicize the pronunciation, soft g and all. So Jellyocracy it is.


Now I know the Times is scrambling to attract younger eyeballs in advance of implementing their online fee schemes. (The Murrow-Stewart comparison cracked me up though, even for the dumb youngsters who've never heard a tape of Murrow when the bombs were falling in London...; Maddow as Ellie Roosevelt next?)

And I know it's bad weather and perhaps his daily servants haven't been able to make it in. (?) You know how that can unhinge relaxation routines and all. Or maybe Santa didn't deliver on the private helicopter wish.

But I do believe, in the post here and comparing Ireland to ... Nevada (legalized gambling + prostitution, and quickie divorces are what most minds associate, no?), Krugman's overstepping a bit with his creativity juices. Trying, but not working it hard enough to hit the mark...

Tell me straight out now:
How gay is that?