Tuesday, August 23

Only a Mother's Fears...

Last week we talked about the ratio of “light to dark” subjects on Motherlode, and one facet we did not get to is how becoming a parent magnifies the dangers everywhere in the world.
Right, because non-parents could never ever achieve the same degrees of empathy or concern when reading of a drowned child...
I’m not by any means paranoid and I’m not handicapped by fear, but I have a much greater understanding of emotional empathy, and things that might have previously seemed insignificant now stick with me to the core.

You can read the entire post on her blog here. Then use the comments below to talk about whether you can ever read the news the same way once you become a parent.


I think you have to call out the "parenting means a plus" mentality whereever you see it, because indeed, they undermine the value of childless people in insidious ways.

(Honestly, do you even understand the value of compassion and empathy, and do you think it's only achievable when certain hormones kick in? You underestimate the power of imagination and intelligence, I think...)