Monday, October 17

A Late Start...

to the workweek, deliberately coming in at noon today because of a late afternoon court hearing and a county board meeting this evening.

Otherwise, the weekend went well. Had my Yorkie terrier (he's a mix, a bit poodle the vet, groomer and me and Mal think -- but the terrier instincts dominate. "Tough" like that, which is a good thing, you ask me...) with me since my birthday mid-week. You want to get walking, keep moving and fit from morning until dusk ... find yourself a dog, I say. This one keeps me out in the cool, observing sunrise and sunset, and stays in pursuit ... of squirrels mostly; he leaves the ducks and geese on the Rice Lake flyway alone for the most part. It's amazing their numbers now, on the shores and in the lake, as they pass through town.

Also saw (William) Kent Krueger this Saturday -- he's promoting Northwest Angle, one of his Cork O'Connor series books. I don't know if it's the natural critic in me, or just meeting the author in person, but while this is another good one, you do read more critically after meeting the author. Could have cut a good 25 pages out so far, and I'm only halfway in, focusing too much on what the characters are thinking of, and praying for, and some of their actions don't seem too plausible for real life, if you ask me.

Still, the settings and the action narratives are what sell this series. You think of how you could improve upon it, and you wonder why, at 43, I was the youngest of the approximately 25 in attendance Saturday. It's not that young people don't read necessarily, or read this genre even, or turn out for booksellings and author talks ... you just have to hit upon how to market properly to that crowd, and give them something redeeming, and honest, to spend their time with.

That's my take anyways, and you know how I do love to observe things from my little place up here in northwestern Wisconsin.

Make it a great week, readers,
and never be so closed off to other authors that you inadvertently miss out on their charms due to your own established preferences, thinking you know already what types you like best. (How's that for a week-beginning request, then?)