Thursday, December 1

Tommy's In.

The 70-year-old former Wisconsin governor officially throws his hat into the ring for the seat being vacated by the (non-openly gay) Sen. Herb Kohl. Given his (Thompson's) popularity here, and the rise of conservative sentiment, I think he's got a good shot at it.

Right now, Tammy Baldwin, the (openly gay*) Madison representative to the House, appears to be his primary competition, and statewise, I'm not too sure how well her liberalism will sell throughout the state.

Backlash catching up, and all...

---------------

* In a college town like Madison, that surely helped her establish herself -- identity politics and all -- because she really hasn't done much all these years to distinguish herself in Washington, they say.

Plus, please don't think I'm "outing" Kohl. It's common knowledge, he has nothing to fear now if voter learn that simple fact, and I abhor identity politics myself, I do think it's a shame he's had to hide it all these years. So what? If you did a good job for us Herb Kohl, and generally, you did -- it really doesn't matter.

I wonder, and wish that, Baldwin thinks this way too.