Tuesday, January 17

Privacy in the Bedroom, in the Boardroom.

I kinda hope Mitt Romney has it in him to buck tradition and be a rebel: Keep his tax returns private.

Just because others have done it -- allowed the privacy veil to be pierced, doesn't mean anyone owes it to us, as part of the job application.

Suffice it to say:
He's a Rich Man.
With more money than you.

Nobody has (yet) suggested he got it in any illegal way, and we all know about his father and the son's privileged upbringing. There's no allegations in the background stories about anything unsavory, other than committing hard, early to succeeding in business and providing for his growing family.

Nobody owes the release, unless there are lingering questions. Just like, I thought it was small of President Obama, after so much time lapsed, to partially respond to those who questioned his qualifications.

Sorry, can't have 'em. Try this:

My financial documents will remain private, not because there's something there to hide, but because the issue at this time is not, and has never been, my own personal financial background. Let's concentrate on the numbers that matter: opening and exploring the nation's fiscal books. I'm eager to get started, and I'm confident that I can make a difference, and I'm not just running for this office because of my daddy or because I need to take care of my wife and child. I want to help America, because like so many others out there, I know already: It's not about me. It's bigger than that. It's about this country we love so much that people will ridicule us for almost being cornball about it. Those are the numbers we need to look at now, in the harsh open sunlight, in black and white. I'm sorry if this disappoints those of you who want to make a story about my personal financial choices and decisionmaking. But again, I'm not here asking for a handout or a loan, so I don't think my own numbers are relevant. I'm comfortable, but I'm not overly spendy. I think people can appreciate that in a leader. And if anyone has any doubts about the high premium I place on privacy, rest easy. I'm not blindly following tradition here, and on principle, I'm keeping my records private.