Wednesday, February 5

Winnin' Ugly*... on Jeopardy.

Arthur Chu:

“A month’s time isn’t that much. If I had had some advanced warning, I would have learned wheelhouse categories, boned up on sports, classic films, opera, things like that,” he said. “But when you know your limitations, you’ve got to learn to leverage knowledge with your strategy.”
...
“If I get a Daily Double in sports and I’m pretty sure I’m not gonna know it, why would I take an unnecessary risk?” he said. “I guess people see it as a jerk thing to do, but the benefit in that is that I can take that clue away from someone else who does know about sports.”

He's got a point.
He played the game untraditionally, but by the rules... and won.
“I keep coming back to this: when you’re playing the game up there, you’re playing for real money, and that means a lot to me,” he said. “Maybe I would get impatient at times and I don’t think that in and of itself is something to apologize for.”

With the winnings, he says he plans on visiting family in China, saving a chunk and donating the rest to a charity...
---------------

* 1983 White Sox for $100, Alex.