Wednesday, September 30

Mac Davis, Dead at 78

"Oh Lord, it's Hard to be Humble...

When You're Perfect in Ev-ery Way!

 

I Can't Wait, to Look in the Mirror...

'Cause I Get Better Lookin' Each Day...

To Know Me is

To Love Me!

I Must be a Helluva Man.

Oh Lord, It's Hard

to be Humble,

But I'm Doing the Best that I Can..."

-----------------

Well Life ain't no easy freeway, just some gravel on the ground. And you pay for ev-ery mile you go, and you spread some dust around... But we all have destinations, and the dust will settle down... oh, life ain't no easy freeway! Just some gravel on the ground... (At the best, we'll end up lovers; at the least, we'll make a friend!)

---------------

You Got to STOP! and smell the roses... You got to count your many blessin's ev-ery day! You gonna find your way to Heaven, is a Rough and Rocky Road, if you don't stop and smell the roses along the way...

----------------

 Before we forget, we're not cheaters yet... Let's keep it that way.  (Cuz I don't wanna have to tell her a lie, when I get back home. Cuz it would tear apart her fairytale world, if I did her wrong.  Lying to her, would hurt me more, than leaving you this way... Before we forget, we're not cheaters yet, so let's keep it that way...)

 

------------------

RIP Mac.  A masculine singing icon from the 70s...

 

Wiki:  Davis was born in Lubbock, Texas, the son of Edith Irene (Lankford) and T. J. Davis, a builder He graduated at 16 from Lubbock High School in Lubbock, Texas. He spent his childhood years with his sister Linda, living and working at the former College Courts, an efficiency apartment complex owned by his father. Davis described his father, who was divorced from Davis' mother, as "very religious, very strict, and very stubborn". Though Davis was physically small, he had a penchant for getting into fistfights. "In those days, it was all about football, rodeo, and fistfights. Oh, man, I got beat up so much while I was growing up in Lubbock," Davis said in a March 2, 2008, interview with the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal newspaper. "I was 5 feet, 9 inches, and weighed 125 pounds. I joined Golden Gloves, but didn't do good even in my [own] division." After he finished high school, Davis moved to Atlanta where his mother lived, to get out of Lubbock.

------------------

"Making castles out of building blocks, and a cardboard box: Well that's m'boy. MickeyMouse says it's thirteen o'clock... well that's, quite a shock! But that's m'boy... What's that ya say, Mama?  "C'mon and keep ya feet warm"?  Well save me a place, I'll be there in a minute or so... I'll stay right here and say a little prayer, before I go... Cuz me and God are Watching Scotty Grow."

---------

:It's a burning thing... Baby it's got a hold on me, it's a burning thing... Way down deep, in the soul of me!, it's a burning thing... Baby my love for you, it's a burning thing..."

Make it a great day, friends and buddies!

------

Bonus Track:

"She's my friend. She's my lady. She's my lover. She's my wife. She's the answer to my prayers... she's the reason for my life. She's my lover, she's my lady... she's the mother of my baby! And I thank God, I'm the lucky man she loves..."

I never read Mac Davis as a cad. (Of course, I was young...) Did you?

------------

And of course, his most famous song-writing credit:

"In the ghetto... People don't you understand? The child needs a helping hand. Or he'll grow to be an angry young man someday.  Take a look at you and me. Are we too blind to see?, or do we simply turn our heads and look the other way... While his mama cries. Cuz if there's one thing that she don't need, it's another hungry mouth to feed, in the ghetto. (In the ghetto...)"

I kind of listed them in order of my favorites though, Hard to be Humble being my favorite.  Hey, I was 12 in 1980 when that album came out! (So, ex-cuuuuuuuse me!)