Sunday, May 28

Paddling the Apple in Star Prairie.

Today on the river, I saw a trumpeter swan struggling to release her eggs in the shady sand of the bank.  I was gently gliding by, observing and at first thought she might be struggling with a broken wing. She had herself twisted a bit and was grinding on the ground... clearly in the pangs of release.  She froze and let  me drift by...

as did the little doe peeking her triangle-shaped head out of the reeds atop the water just as I was rounding the bend of the bank she was descending.  I was drifting, and heard the rustling while the creature only caught my scent when emerging into the air.

A few steps back, but I was glad it wasn't a full-retreat where the animal would have to find footing on the soft sand and turn to leap back uphill.   They let me pass.

I got a good paddling workout in... the arms could go forever and I am experienced enought to get the full workout distributed throughout the arms in the way the paddle is positioned to stroke that water at different depths.

The sound of the eagle ascending, and later another trumpeter swan on a pond taking off, helps you hear the power in those mighty wings -- the swan especially with that huge wingspan.  I forget my friends are out there sometimes to my own detriment.  They're quiet and cautious, you only get a glimpse of them from the banks... but the precision paddling to keep down the noise (go to a gym if you want a repetitive workkout is all) and sneek a peek does the body good.