Monday, August 22

Country tunes

Friday afternoon's journey began, and last night's journey ended with Lonestar's "I'm already there." Mere coincidence, of course, but I ended up listening to country radio on the road trip through the mid-state. Have you heard "We made it to Arlington" yet? I heard that one, no lie, at least 5 times, partially, this weekend, so I know Trace Adkins' song is getting airplay in some regions out there. We're pretty split in the blogosphere and if you wouldn't come across it on your own, I thought I'd reference it here. Make your own attending commentary.
----------
In other news, it was good to "harvest" and make salsa this weekend. (The pictures will have to wait for another year though.) Some of the bell peppers were even red and ripe for the picking. The garden this year is one of the best we've had, (though the phrase "fertilizing the shit out of it" seems backwards.) You know it's a good one when unexpected pickers "with permission" help themselves. Ah well, the price of dignity varies according to the individual.

My friend's mom is slowly dying, but she was a good cook and a good-natured woman, and a friend to me years back when I first moved into the town where she had lived for many, many years. My favorite saying of hers has always been: "Your health is your wealth." On the outer brick wall of her home now, the county health center (aka. a nursing home), a banner has been hanging for the past few years, even in the winter months. "Love is ageless. Visit us." It's not a saying of hers, but I like that one too. Sometimes you get more than you give -- from a child, an older person, or somebody you think is "beneath" you. I'm just learning that being able to accept gifts is equal in importance to giving them, but then I never claimed to be a fast learner on all things.