Saturday, November 25

And... it's not the first time this has happened. "Turkey begone!"

...
"It's terrible. My house is a disaster!" Sandy Cobbs said Friday, amid window glass littered on a bloody carpet in her dining room. "Everybody thinks it's funny, but it's not. I just couldn't believe it was Thanksgiving and there was a live turkey in my house."

Guess who dropped in for Thanksgiving at the Cobbs' house in Bloomington?
A wild turkey, busting through the dining-room picture window.
...
On Thursday, Sandy was in her kitchen preparing sweet potatoes and vegetables to bring to her sister's when she heard a thunderous crash.

"At first I thought my buffet fell over. It was so loud and kept crashing," she said. "I went in there and said, 'Not again. Not again.' He was huge -- two or three feet tall." It looked like the big bird had landed on her now scratched-up glass dining-room table and flopped to the floor.

Her husband was out walking their two little dogs, and Sandy went looking for him.

"I ran out the door. I grabbed the car and started driving to find my husband. I found him and jumped out and said, 'I'll take the dogs. You go home. There's a turkey in the house.' "
...
The Cobbs live near the Hyland Hills ski area and see wild turkeys strut by nearly every day. Sandy speculated that the turkeys were attracted by the reflection of trees in the window.

The last time around, the officers had to kill the turkey, Roepke said.

That turkey mishap cost the Cobbs' insurance company nearly $10,000 to make repairs and replace carpeting, windows and curtains, Sandy Cobbs said.

"My insurance company doesn't think it's funny," she said. "I don't know if I can turn in another claim."

The turkey-tale moral? She said she had none, "except that on the holidays, I am leaving town."