Saturday, July 28

Player(s) to watch.

Defensive end Kenechi Udeze:

Udeze's original contract has two seasons left. Yet, once the bonus money is paid, all power in the NFL goes to management. There's a sense around the Vikings that Udeze must make an impact in 2007 or he could be down the road.

Big year, sir?

"I look at as every year as a big year," he said. "That's why I work so hard in the offseason to prepare."

Udeze has such belief in his work ethic that, when the Sporting News asked him recently to name the hardest-working Viking, he chose himself. "Hey, I had to toot my own horn; I've always had to do that," he said. "I was a guy who wasn't offered a scholarship at USC right away. I had to convince them."


Receiver Troy Williamson:
"I have seen a change in his demeanor and a change in his personality," coach Brad Childress said. "He would be the first to tell you that it was rock bottom last year, but you can either stay and wallow around or you can pick yourself up and work to get better. He decided to do the latter. He is never going to be Dale Carnegie or anybody like that, but you can see his enthusiasm and his excitement because he knows he is improving as well."

...
Williamson engaged in a rare and extended banter Friday with reporters, laughing and challenging questions while at times sounding downright boastful. When a reporter noted he should be considered among the NFL's seven fastest receivers, Williamson said: "They might want to change that. It shouldn't be seven."

Williamson ran the 40-yard dash in 4.3 seconds prior to the 2005 draft. After a moment, he added: "It should be like No. 1 or 2. I'll pretty much say I can run with anybody in the league."

A reporter then asked Williamson who should be No. 1 if he is No. 2. Williamson finally cut lose. "No," he said. "I'm No. 1. You decide who No. 2 is." The speed, of course, will do Williamson little good if his eyes and hands can't catch up. There was an audible groan at Minnesota State Mankato, Friday morning when he dropped that first pass. "Big surprise," one fan shouted.

Williamson, however, was more proud of the catch he made on the next play than he was disappointed about the drop. "I might drop a ball here and there, but I want to come back and catch the next one," he said. "That's really what it's all about. ... I've got a mindset now that you've got to have a short memory. A lot of things happen in one football game.

"It's going to be a good year for me. I've got the confidence in myself that I'm going to make that happen."

True story.