Tuesday, October 16

Lol ! *

While I'm not really amazed the kid has stuck it out so long (must like that Northern quality of life afterall, eh?), I would bet donuts to dollars that he's learned to start carrying a credit-card for easy hotel check-in.

Lots of these young guys -- they don't like to listen the first time around, thinks it dents the ego to listen to an older, wiser.... woman! Still, funny how opening your mouth and saying, "No, it's not the desk clerk. Standard operating procedure if you want to check into a room, son" can bring about such defiance. Special treatment is such a hard habit to wean yourself from...

Speaking of, congratulations Zach and Amy (Mrs. trj) on the upcoming baby. He's got a stable and secure job with the state in the voting division, and last told she was working for the city. Funny how it all tends to work out like that, relocating and becoming government workers... and even learning to carry a credit card for check-ins! (you can thank me later)

Now who wants to bet when the child gets into high school, Zachary will be even less libertarian due to time, and will better understand the extracurricular no-drinking, no smoking policies for the underage? Funny how time proves out those cranky old ladies who don't have the southern grace to keep their mouths shut and defer to the young menfolk who know it all, eh? Kidding.

Zach on me, awww:

"In her defense, I don't think Mary meant to be condascending. I have spoken to her before and remember her to be a very thoughtful and intellectually challenging conversationalist."

He understands, I'm doing the best that I can! Not tryin' to be condescending, just another way to be. Personally, I liked this brief exhange between us:

Of Tragic Irony on the Teresa Halbach murder, of which Zach became a self-styled expert obsessing about the formerly imprisoned killer.
"But in my defense, I don't think Mary gives me enough credit. I have spent more time pondering Steven Avery than probably anyone not directly affected by the case. It, like so many things I rant about in these pages, has become something of an intellectual obsession."
I was working as an attorney for the Wisconsin police union at the time. Zach worked for a few years as a former prison guard in Tennessee, between undergrad and law school.

My initial thoughts upon hearing of the young photographer's disappearance, were a bit ... "softer", and hopes for the Calumet County Sheriff's department to complete a responsible investigation were well satisfied. Two reactions, both devastated no doubt at such a senseless death, but different ways of channeling anger and finding some root cause to blame...


Still, Amy and Zach, all the best! Good luck with the delivery!

I'm sure you'll make excellent parents ... if you listen to Amy once in awhile, the first time around that is, without letting your ego get in the way of common sense. Yes you can! Though you're not exactly a leading thinker, despite the hype led by the gay little brother fan club, there's no shame in being the type of man who always walks in paths blazed by others. None at all. It might make you passive, and bound up inside, but then we can't all practice independence when there are bills to pay. :-)

Make the best of your lot, keep those minds open, and remember: It's not where you come from, it's where you're going that matters most! All the best to my old former Jurisprudence classmate and his growing family.
--------------------

* Since it's a special occasion, we've got to choose some appropriate pop lyrics. So in the spirit of all-inclusive insurance plans (don't be looking at me :-), I offer up this old gem from Billy Joel, temporarily re-titled: Anthony's Zachary's Song:
You should never argue
with a crazy my- my- my- my- my- mind...
You oughta know by now.
You can pay Uncle Sam with the overtime...
Is that all you get for your money?

Well if that's what you have in mind
If that's what you're all about...
Good luck moving up
Cuz I'm moving out.