Tuesday, March 18

I have only one class left this year with my 9th grade religious students. I'll miss them. Perusing the local high school high honor rolls, I see a good majority of their names. I'm wondering if this being my first year teaching and all, the director assigned me the smarter of the bunch, when splitting the class with the other teacher, who has taught for a few years now. Maybe it was just the luck of the draw.

Going into the class in October, I felt prepared but not exactly sure what route the course would take. I suppose good teaching is always like that -- you tailor it to the group you find sitting before you, planning in some room to remain flexible and to address issues as they arise. That we did. There was a "racial incident" that got newsplay at the suburban school, along with a planned foodfight that parents of the disciplined students found too severe. (Have I mentioned here that deliberately wasting good food is one of my pet peeves? And at 17 and 18, what would surely be considered a misdeamnor if it occured in a mall food court say, such an act just seems ... disrespectful to others.) Though it was upperclassmen involved in both, my freshman were willing to talk about what they thought of the news articles compared to their daily take on high school life.

Two weeks ago, somehow the conversation led me to note that Mendel was a monk. Before assuming an administrative position that took him away from his gardening and studies, he found in religious life the necessary time to pursue his passions. My point was, faith and science can co-exist. I wanted them to remember that, because somedays it seems religion/spirituality is unnecessarily mocked by those who assume they know better, and sometimes we remain ignorant out of fear of upsetting tradition.

I also brought up -- because they do enjoy the tough trivia question, if anyone could tell me the two famous men born on February 12, 1809. It only took seconds for the first one to identify Lincoln, but even with further clues, no one came up with Charles Darwin. We talked a bit about how his learning was thought at that time to indeed, rock the world, and again how we can appreciate the old stories yet reconcile them with later knowledge as man's understanding continues to grow. (I also told them to remember this factoid next February for the bicentennial birthday celebrations -- maybe they could win a trivia bet with their friends or something.)

This being Holy Week, and the schools being out, we're off. And next week we'll meet in our individual classrooms for only about 10 minutes before returning to the gym/common area for a wrap-up celebration that includes some kind of food. It was a good year -- over so quickly especially considering that two or three of the snow days that cancelled school this year saw the storms coming in on Wednesdays, the evening we meet. Or maybe the first year always passes quickly...

----------------

Onto today's political news:
It looks like the Supreme Court will find an individual right to gun ownership in the Constitution, if those listening to today's oral arguments are reading the tea leaves correctly.

Betcha thought I was going to lead with Barack Obama's speech on racial issues. Like with Darwin and Lincoln, it's a toss up to some, of course, which one ultimately has greater ranking in the importance of the day. (Nothing against Lincoln -- he was a great man for the times, but I do wonder if he had not been born or survived milkfever into adulthood say, if another could have also assumed the reigns in urging the generals to continue pursuing Lee's army and not ceding any land to the Confederacy. He got it, the importance of the country's union, as did Andrew Jackson in an earlier day. But Darwin I have to believe, would not have been so easily replaced so soon. More mind work than inspirational leadership, more unique than just stepping up as the times. For the record, I do admire them both for their courage and intelligence.

Here's my take on today's second major American news story:
Barack Obama seemed tired to me. And every station where I saw snippets, including I think BBC, also ran the "God damn America" rant. In the end, no matter how heartfelt, it was words. Words are powerless unless or until people act on them. And many will wonder why an intelligent man chose to confront those ideas only when he was ultimately called on them. Wouldn't it have been better to push back much earlier, if the leadership skills touted were indeed as strong as some say? I think so...

I also don't so much buy into the, "We all disagree with words we hear in our temples, churches and pulpits." It's a fine phrase, and somewhat true, but accepting passively is not everyone's style. Some keep looking... some question verbally at an appropriate but more immediate time... some drop out, either temporarily or for the long run. It's an individual thing, sure, and we've all got our own stories we could tell...

Myself, I skipped Mass the weekend our local diocesean churches were required to play the Bishop's message urging a vote supporting the constitutional state amendment against expanding the definition of civil marriage. Maybe it's my own constitution, my inner temperment, but I knew that would not be healthy for me to sit and listen to, and there are some things I just haven't learned yet to tune out without physical effect. My choice. Plus, being raised in the Chicago diocese and with clergy in the family, my understanding is that the Church is not supposed to preach politically from the pulpit. The "requirement" that all churches play the message or face discipline seemed odd to me, and while it made me think less perhaps of the man behind in this diocese leadership post, I still admire him strongly for the leadership of the office. Again, my choice.

Reading the tea leaves of today, I still hold out hope that Barack Obama will pursue his passions outside of politics, or in a lesser office than Commander-in-Chief. I still believe that Hillary Clinton is the strongest opponent against John McCain in the fall, and that Commander-in-Chief really isn't the appropriate vehicle to pursue a mission of racial healing, or fuzzy social advancement. Vote for him as president of an Outreach organization -- sure? See him as a Martin Luther King type, advocating for the causes he believes the country as a whole needs? Definitely could see him in that role, if he thinks his background and career path have led him to that mission today.

But a wartime president? With a faltering economy? And plenty of white conservative soldiers fighting abroad? I just don't think this is the man, nor the most pressing issue, for our current times. Of course many will say he didn't choose to play the race card, it was played on him. But then the follow-up question, of course, is why Barack Obama, first-term senator? Why him? Why now? With Hillary Clinton, at least, there is a track record, an understanding of what is driving her, and why now is the time. Ditto John McCain. That's what makes the Tony Rezko allegations so troubling. Perhaps Sen. Obama truly believes the man was just trying to help, in bankrolling his earlier campaigns and helping him afford the Kenwood mansion. (And have you seen the aerial views? A mansion surely it is...) Perhaps he truly believes there was to be no payback time, no agenda. That Mr. Rezko's types can have sordid histories, yet just like helping a fellow out because it makes him feel good.

My knock against McCain is based both on his future (can he handle the job? Why couldn't he beat George W. Bush 8 years ago?) and his past (what has he really accomplished and I do mean effectively for all his touted years of national service. Immigration, and McCain-Feingold are just two I'm not impressed with, and I won't even touch the P.O.W. victim accomplishments.

I don't mind being in a minority: I think moderation is called for now, plodding along, and I think Clinton is the closest thing we've got to reality in recognizing the road ahead, what the priorities are, and what can and cannot be accomplished politically. In one hundred, or even two hundred years, we might not remember her birthdate, but look at how many other workers who helped us incrementally progress she would be in good company with.

I don't want to see Barack Obama lose big in November and shatter so many dreams, including presumably the one he spoke of leading himself today. Nor do I want McCain to further compound the country's current problems, whether he stands to personally gain or not.

So my prediction? The Supreme Court will find an individual right... though tempered by plenty of regulations on the ground. Progress: the wheels of justice grind plenty slowly at times, with reason.

Hope you had a forward-looking Tuesday. The seasons are indeed changing here. The first day of Spring fell on Ruth's birthday, and we always said there were plenty waiting on it...