Saturday, March 1

Mosinee co-op v. Fond du Lac/Waupun...

in the girls' championship game on t.v. right now.

I'm really disappointed in this website, this year.* They presumably brought on a blogger, Deb Scanlon, to cover the girls' play, but sadly, she has been really slow on the updating. To the point of there still being no coverage of yesterday's games telling us how the two teams advanced to the championships.

Also, though their team name is the Central Wisconsin Storm , the league refers to them as Mosinee co-op, so I think for consistency's sake, you ought to stick with the Mosinee name. (A co-op team is a collection of more than one school; present in the boys' game, as with Appleton co-op, but more common right now in girls' play as it's harder finding enough girls playing hockey within one school right now to field a team. Central Wisconsin Storm is made up of students from Mosinee/Wausau East/Wausau West/DC Everest.)

Speaking of, the Mosinee co-op "Storm" (the high school mascot is the Warriors, but again, this team represents more than one school) are up 3-0 on the Fond du Lac co-op team. The announcers credit that to each player "getting her job done" and collectively, them continuing to "move their feet."

(And just to give those Zamboni guys credit... "Nice Ice!")

Another name I heard that made me double-check my program here at home: there's a sophmore playing who has had at least one assist for Mosinee, who shares the surname of the boys' goalie I wrote about a few days back. Probably brother/sister (her a 10th grader, he in 9th), but could be cousins given some of the family roots in many Wisconsin towns.

So how about that? If indeed they are siblings, kudos to the parents for obviously raising two winners. I really like it when the girls in a family are encouraged to compete too, and not sit back and think they can't play because "hockey is a man's sport" or something like that. Only seems fair to me, and the cardio-vascular workout in skating hard can only pay off in years to come in terms of the youngster's health.

Speaking of, just so you don't think I'm some crabby old lady who doesn't understand boys will be boys -- those kids throwing paper, mentioned earlier, that I was ticked off at last night? A co-ed group -- boys and girls. Now I was seated there first; they came up and sat directly behind me during about the second period of the first game. (They were from Eau Claire, who played the next one.) So I could see the "flirting" aspects, and the possible boredom at paying attention to the earlier game being played.

But the truth is, when I first turned around after being hit and asked them to please either go sit with their parents if they weren't mature enough to be left alone, or to shape it up, it was the boys who seemed to listen and looked apologetic. It was the teen girls behind on either side of me, who thought that was their cue then to then dangle their legs, brushing up against my coat. So you see, I'm not a boy-hater at all. Just I think when an adult asks you nicely to knock it off/not disturb them, and points out their presence in case you initially missed that, that's plenty warning. Maybe it's psychology that the girls would then take such a request as a "challenge", and play the "We didn't kick you game!"

Anyway, the view is better on t.v. today anyway, and I wasn't planning on spending the extra $8 driving to the rink anyway...

* Additionally, they got the goalie numbers wrong in the Mosinee/Edgewood game I wrote about. Now I certainly understand innocent errors, but if you were watching the game -- or even looked it up in the program that has the numbers correct -- how could you report that one wrong? Remember, this site operates for pay (ads and contributions), so the standard naturally is a bit higher than mere freebie submitted stories.
----------------------

Update: And Mosinee co-op wins their first state title, 5-0. Their head coach -- Coach Dennis Drake -- is probably the father of the goalie, who shares the same surname.