Sunday, July 11

Aunt - ticipation.

I visited the farmers's market yesterday with little ones in mind (my sister's children are coming to visit for a few days, my sister and mother too): Small mild carrots I can cut into sticks to snack on. Small broccoli heads from the gardens' second harvest. Fresh lettuce for salads and sandwiches. She is a nurse, and feeds them right, and pretty much I've been eating fresh myself for the past few weeks.

The weather looks to cooperate, so I'm thinking picnic under the trees. Colby Jack for the youngest who loves her cheese, and raspberries are in season too. I've got the blender out, so they could even have a choice of strawberry, blueberry, or a raspberry shake...

It's a great time of year, whatever season, when family comes to town to visit.

ADDED: The county Pioneer Museum is closed, and there's not much for "educational" places to visit around here, but I'm hoping if we visit the gardens and put in the kayaks, we'll have time to talk about the two learning things about the Upper Midwest I hope they take away from their visit: the richness of the topsoil, scraped up from retreating glaciers in the Ice Age; and the use of waterways for transport, back before the highways and railroads when the products that drew people to this region were furs needed for clothing, and the lumber needed to build things, like all those buildings, pre-Chicago Fire...