Thursday, August 5

Poem for a Thursday.

DEMOCRACY, Langston Hughes

Democracy will not come
Today, this year
Nor ever
Through compromise and fear.

I have as much right
As the other fellow has
To stand
On my two feet
And own the land.

I tire so of hearing people say,
Let things take their course.
Tomorrow is another day.
I do not need my freedom when I'm dead.
I cannot live on tomorrow's bread.

Freedom
Is a strong seed
Planted
In a great need.

I live here, too.
I want freedom
Just as you.

No purple finger waving needed. Judge Walker swung for the fences ... and connected. It will be fun to see the moneyballers, confident that a "safer" legal strategy would have yielded a more politically profitable result in time, try to talk their way out of this one...

Them's some mighty fine facts. And the ... other side (it's all adversarial in the legal world, you see) is going to look "foolisher and foolisher" if they continue to argue out loud the horrible scariness that permitting same-sex couples equal marital rights in today's American society, indeed endangers otherwise secure heterosexual marraiges.

There's simply too many happily childless heterosexual couples marrying without procreation in the bedroom as a goal, and too many heterosexual marraiges that indeed continue to fail every year -- no fault from either party --, and for sure, no need to blame secure homosexual marraiges for doing them in...

That's not a prediction either. That's a measurable fact.