Thursday, October 28

Julie Lassa for Congress.

More and more, I think my vote here in Wisconsin will go to this State Senator, a Democrat running to replace U.S. Rep. David Obey, who is retiring this year.

Her opponent is Sean Duffy -- remember, the kid from the big Wisconsin lumberjacking family who appeared on the Real World Boston season, verbally sparring with Kameelah, the young black woman? That -- plus his Wm. Mitchell law degree and time clocked in the district attorney's office in his home county -- give him credibility.

But up here, if you were just looking at the campaign literature? His big qualifications are the 6 photogenic children (Hispanic Cuban-American, proudly Catholic wife): he's a real family man, and say what you will, but that seems to count ... a lot.

Going on straight qualifications though, my instinct is Lassa's better qualified in this race. Plus, she says things like this, and I'd like to see the Democratic party become more moderate, and less this bifurcated place where elites see no need to create change ... today:

"I've been running my own campaign," Lassa said. "I'm my own individual candidate, and I really appreciate all the work that Congressman Obey has done for the district and for the state because he's served this district for 42 years, and I think that's important to recognize. But with his retirement is the turning of the page and the beginning of a new chapter."

Lassa emphasized that she has worked frequently with Republicans as a Wisconsin state senator and pointed out that she twice voted to override Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle‘s vetoes of bills that would have permitted gun owners to carry concealed firearms.

"To me it doesn't matter if it's a Republican or a Democratic idea," Lassa said. "It's just important that I believe that it's good public policy."

Lassa was particularly forthright about her reservations about health care reform - the signature achievement of Obama's presidency and the Democratic Congress.

"One of the things that I'm really concerned about is the mandate that individuals and families purchase health insurance, and I think that if we are going to mandate that individuals and families have to purchase insurance, we have to make sure that that insurance then is affordable," Lassa said. "Otherwise I don't believe that it's fair."

Lassa said that the health care reform law has a host of worthwhile provisions, including the bans on discriminating against patients with preexisting conditions and rescinding the coverage of policyholders who become sick, but she reiterated her concerns about the mandate.

Asked if she would support repealing aspects of the health care law if elected, Lassa said, "I think we have to look at one, how are they going to go through the rules process and implement that portion, and what is the federal government going to do to make sure that it remains affordable."

But if those steps weren't taken, Lassa said, "Then I think we have to really seriously consider whether or not that mandate stays because it is very important to me that individuals and families can afford health insurance." She added, "If we can't make sure that the premiums remain affordable, then I think we have to re-look at that section of the bill going forward."

ADDED: Politically, it's wisest for the country to work together -- now! -- to repeal the unconstitutional mandate portion of the law, and it will be interesting to see if, post-election, there's much impetus toward national leadership in reforming the reform and avoiding messy legal battles down the road...