Friday, December 3

It just struck me as funny.

But I'm pretty sure,
he didn't have what she thinks he's having...

Insult to Injury
Dec 3 2010, 4:07 PM ET

Eugene Volokh has a condundrum:
"Funchess was sentenced to two consecutive sentences of death." Or, if you prefer, "Appellant was also sentenced to one to two years imprisonment for abuse of corpse, a concurrent term of one month to two years for tampering, and one to two years for criminal conspiracy, to run consecutive to his death sentence."

For sentences of time in prison, whether the sentences run concurrently or consecutively ends up being very important. But just what the significance of having consecutive death sentences, or prison terms consecutive to a death sentence, I can't off the top of my head figure out (though it's not like you can have imprisonment concurrent with the death sentence, either).
I'm guessing it's so that even if the death sentence is overturned on appeal, or commuted, the guy stays in jail. Alternatively, maybe it just struck the judge as funny.

Oh those junior economists...
Why sweat the details, eh?

(I'm guessing she just made a spelling error. Or perhaps is unfamiliar with the words she's using. Either way...)

------------

UPDATE:
Fixed!
But it appears Megan has moved on to personal problems of her own:
The Mortgage Deduction Should Be Done Away With--But It Won't
Business Dec 3 2010, 4:21 PM ET

Having recently entered into homeownership, I am now in the unhappy state of having to advocate against my own interest. As someone whose freelance expenses make it worthwhile to itemize, I plan to take the mortgage interest tax deduction until they phase the damn thing out, or I pay off the house, whichever comes first. But as an economics journalist, I retain my deep hatred for the thing.
...
The deduction's sort of like a giant McMansion in an undesirable exurb with a whacking great underwater mortgage: no matter how terrible it is, no matter how much we hate it, we're probably stuck with it for the foreseeable future.


You know, you don't have to accept all those unwise favors and privileges: How deep is your hatred?

Next thing you know, people will be paying you not to work, and that's when you really find yourself in an economic condundrum principled pickle, and all...