Friday, February 25

Carlos Estevez vs. Chaim Levine...

Wow.

CBS and the television production studio Warner Brothers have decided to shut down production of the hit comedy “Two and a Half Men,” the companies said Thursday, after the show’s star, Charlie Sheen, attacked the creator of the show, Chuck Lorre, in two incendiary interviews.
...
[T]he two companies acted on Thursday after the two interviews, the first with a syndicated radio host and then with the celebrity gossip Web site TMZ.

In both, the actor assailed Mr. Lorre, calling him a “clown” and a “charlatan” whose “tin can” of a show Mr. Sheen said he had converted into “pure gold.”

Mr. Lorre, one of the most successful producers of television series in network history, has created two other comedies that are hits on CBS, “The Big Bang Theory” and “Mike and Molly.” He declined to comment.

For no apparent reason, in both interviews Mr. Sheen said Mr. Lorre’s real name is Chaim Levine. He was born Charles Levine; a Hebrew version would be Chaim. The comment struck executives at both CBS and Warner Brothers as anti-Semitic, according to an executive who had spoken with representatives of both companies.

It reminds me of when CNN host Ricardo "Rick" Sanchez was fired for clumsily (callously?) noting the lack of diversity in our entertainment and news media, after being referred to as "Dirty Sanchez" night after night:
"Everybody that runs CNN is a lot like (Jon) Stewart... And a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart."
...
Nothing excuses his insensitive remarks. But racism and anti-Semitism are like a virus. They need to be continually subjected to scrutiny, so we can see how ugly and powerful they are. Banishing Sanchez did nothing save derail his career. CNN should have suspended him or made him apologize on-air. Sanchez, a man who has been tasered and locked in a submerged car on camera, would've no doubt risen to the challenge.

Sanchez now admits that his anger at being ridiculed on-air by Stewart, night after night, led to his thoughtless rant. Maybe someday he will understand that Stewart, like himself, has indeed faced his own struggles with discrimination and acceptance. For proof of this, he need look no further than their birth names, which they both changed in order to succeed. Ricardo León de Reinaldo, meet Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz.

ADDED:
Ah! Jon Weisman at Variety hints at the real root of the problem, perhaps:
If it helps, Chuck, you are 13 years older ...
CHUCK LORRE PRODUCTIONS, #329

I exercise regularly. I eat moderate amounts of healthy food. I make sure to get plenty of rest. I see my doctor once a year and my dentist twice a year. I floss every night. I've had chest x–rays, cardio stress tests, EKG's and colonoscopies. I see a psychologist and have a variety of hobbies to reduce stress. I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. I don't have crazy, reckless sex with strangers.

If Charlie Sheen outlives me, I'm gonna be really pissed.
Like the song goes: "Jealousy ... ain't a part of me."