Saturday, March 26

Natural Saturday morning happiness, ...

(cold temps but with the sun shining), tempered by the news that Bob Herbert is leaving us, we Saturday morning NYT readers.

No extended goodbyes, no "I gave and gave and gave to you kids, weekly, needing more space (accomodated), more room to tell you, in detail, what I was thinking. And even then, the well ran dry." (ala, Frank Rich).

You know Bob Herbert doesn't make any sudden, or thoughtless moves. So while it's sad for us, I'm certain he's chosen wisely, in more self-oriented, no doubt productive pursuits.

He left a forwarding address, which was kind, in kind of a -- "Just leaving for greener, more rewarding pastures -- not dying." kind of way...

This is my last column for The New York Times after an exhilarating, nearly 18-year run. I’m off to write a book and expand my efforts on behalf of working people, the poor and others who are struggling in our society. My thanks to all the readers who have been so kind to me over the years. I can be reached going forward at bobherbert88@gmail.com.

That's the way you do it, folks.