Sunday, April 10

Spring Comes Anew.

We* finally had rains last night, and woke to smells of the ground softening and the sounds of the birds outside this morning. The windows are open, and I've been thinking about possession lately. Singular. The act of possessing.

Busy weeks, for all of us, I'm sure.** Garden meetings, job interviews, social catchups. My bike is out, baseball games are on, but nobody's tilling just yet.

New life. New season. New patterns.

Spring comes anew.

--------------

* We, the citizens of Rice Lake, Wisconsin and Barron County.

** The only odd thing that happened to me last week, that I thought of sharing with y'all readers because surely it doesn't happen to all of us, everyday...

I was awoken one weeknight to sounds of thumping on the walls of the hallway. It was early enough -- 11ish CST, and eventually I opened the door to investigate. The young tenants next door, late teens/first apartment, had guests over and somebody brought prosthetics to the party. Don't get dramatic: I doubt it was a double amputee vet they had over, but somehow, my able bodied young neighbor was balancing his body complete with full-size legs on top of two S-curved leg prosthetics, the kind there was controversy on the track over -- whether they gave the bearer unfair advantage in foot races.

Needless to say, this made my neighbor rather tall, but he was up on them and walking, using his two hands to help him steer down the hallway in liquored-up revelrie.

Ah, kids these days.***







Just thought I'd share.
Missives from the heartland, so to speak.


*** They didn't respond, just turned and re-entered their apartment when the old lady next door (that being me) made eye contact down the hallway and calmly asked, "Isn't it a little late for that, don'tcha think?"



ADDED:
The only other odd thing that happened, at the end of last month, was my neighbor moving out upstairs gifted me a purple and white orchid, with 9 blooms. One fell off, and she and her friend left it outside my door, near the exterior wall on nights we were still falling below freezing.

Still, high maintenance so far, in that I want to keep it warm enough and humid enough to thrive, and I think an orchid needs it warmer than I've been used to here this winter. The color is nice, amidst my usual houseplant greenery though. And with the sun back throwing off some heat, I think it will be fine here at home until I can gift it forward ...