Tuesday, October 4

Spot the Vulgarity...

I have to say, following "discussions" on blog threads like these, do make me chuckle a bit... It's like, they can't even see it.

Life inside the echochamber, so to speak:

That last letter-writer asserted:
There was not one bit of racial content in that term in our family.
Seriously, as someone who matches that writer's profile almost exactly, I have to ask, what the fnck* is wrong with you?

Added: Language like that wasn't ever used in our home when I was a kid growing up -- not because my family was especially progressive or enlightened, but in part because it was vulgar and crude. It was a mark of (if nothing else) ignorance and a lack of education. I understood (though not fully why) such things weren't said, even when I heard that sort of casual joking from my friends' parents.


* I guess if you misspell it, somehow the whole common vulgar offense, obviously intended, goes away... And they wonder why 'good people' living successful, happy lives, don't stoop so low as to "help" the minorities fight the good fight in "putting to rest" words like that. Sometimes, you gotta really want the help, not just to keep the race card to the side, to pull out when it serves one's purpose.

(ie/
Perhaps your search would lead you somewhere completely innocuous and utterly non-racist. But it would seem that a basic sense of decency might kick in. there, an awareness that says, "This offends you, I understand why and so I'll stop." I mean a faggot* is also a piece of wood, but...)

Heh. Heh-heh... He said, "faggot"! How... shawking! (Hopefully no kids are reading this blog. Hate for the sensitive little ones to feel the need to go kill themselves now, delicate flowers that they are...)