Friday, February 3

Friday Drama! @ Andrew's place

So stop watching already .

Don't just pray for the kid ... stop participating as part of the "audience" who obviously watches these things. They'll give the audience what they want all right; stop eating it up?

It was the reallest moment I have ever witnessed on reality television. It gave you a glimpse into the mindset of battered wives in abusive relationships and marriages - and the living hell that follows them every day. So why on earth go on a reality show? The wife suggested that she did it in order to stop the abuse - to get a third party to intervene and understand. The husband's motive? I have no idea. But being a wife-beater on national television must have been an ordeal. But here's what's unforgivable: they have a 5-year-old daughter exposed to all of this, a daughter who was with her mother when they found her father's body: "She knew something was bad. The first thing she said was, 'Did Daddy do something dumb?'" Armstrong recalled.

I find marital abuse so horrifying I cannot express my feelings. That simple sentence - "I almost wanted him to hit me during these fights just to get it over with" - stuck with me for days. The show trod a very fine line between brutal exploitation of these people's lives and absurd glorification of them.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that the combination took one life, arguably saved another, and took on a toll on a five year old whose longterm consequences we will never know. Pray for her.