Friday, May 25

Rainy blessings.

Friday -- another long week.
But here we are, at the weekend again, and a holiday weekend at that. With bands, parades and the summer kickoff...

I'll have to dig up the camera and take a picture of my spring gardens, after yesterday's great deluge of rain. It would pour, then turn off for a bit... then sprinkle down again, then let up... you get the idea.

Perfect for a few final plantings, and a bit of mulching in between the drops. Not too cold, this rain, but I still wish I had held off on some pepper plants, like I did the majority of the tomatoes. Otherwise, after a few weeks of growth, here's what we're* looking at: head lettuce with its little roots, romaine, onions standing in a row like soldiers, celery, broccoli, collard, a few eggplants that I perhaps overestimated early... they'll all make it. I don't lose much, which says more about the fertility of the glacier plowed black soil here, than it does my gardening skills really.

Doing a bit more with woodchips and black plastic this year too. Time spent now can save hours of weeding/watering later in the summer, I've read, and low-maintenance is my middle name...

Happy Memorial Day weekend.

May your memories be strong,
your people be true, and
your pride be forward-looking.


------------------------------------
* I often speak in the plural here, but to be clear: except for the starter plants purchased and the communally prepared/fenced plot(s), these two gardens I sow and reap are solely the work of my own two hands (working with mother nature, as best I can time it.)