Friday, November 17

"Don't Spew That Stuff On Me."

Never been prouder of Orrin Hatch for responding passionately, and pushing back on the notion that only today's Democrats care about the non-wealthy:
In an absolutely vicious back-and-forth, Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) and Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) straight up lit into each other as emotions ran high over the highly criticized and largely unpopular tax proposal.

Hatch got things going by disputing that Republicans’ tax reform legislation was nothing more than a giveaway to the wealthy and corporations, highlighting that he comes from working-class stock.
“I come from the poor people, and I’ve been here working my whole stinking career for people who don’t have a chance,” Hatch shouted at Brown. “And I really resent anybody saying that I’m just doing this for the rich. Give me a break. I think you guys over play that all the time, and it gets old. And frankly, you ought to quit it.”

Hatch continued to tell the Ohio lawmaker he was “sick and tired of it. True it’s a nice political play.” Brown shot back that he was sick of seeing the wealthiest get “richer and richer” while the middle-class doesn’t benefit.

“How many times do we do this before you learn this?!” Brown exclaimed.

The Utah Republican countered, "Listen, I’ve honored you by allowing you to spout off here and what you said was not right. That’s all I’m saying. I come from the lower middle class originally. We didn’t have anything. So don’t spew that stuff on me. I get a little tired of that crap. And let me just say something. If you didn’t — if we [came] together, we could pull this country out of every mess it’s in and we could do a lot of the things that you’re talking about too. And I think I have a reputation of having worked..."

Hatch went on to say that he has a reputation of having worked on both sides of the aisle to get legislation passed, leading Brown to ask why they couldn’t start with CHIP. (The federal funding for the Children’s Health Insurance Program expired on Sept. 30.)

“I’m not starting with CHIP,” Hatch responded. “I’ve done it for years. I’ve got more bills passed than everybody on this committee put together. And they’ve been passed for the benefit of people in this country.”

Hatch continued, “Now, all I can say is I like you personally very much, but I’m telling you, this bullcrap that you guys throw out here really gets old after a while and do it right at the end of this is just not right.”
 Orrin Hatch is 83 years old , and he is representing what many people in this country think.