Thursday, November 16

Poorly Written !

Wow. It appears the NYT has published Sarah Vowell's first draft here...

Bozeman, Mont. — Just as citizens suspected of conspiring with foreign governments should be investigated and prosecuted in the present, those who committed treason in the past need not be glorified. What could be more logical than taxpayers’ patriotic plea that their federal, state and municipal governments consider removing, from public property, tributes to traitors loyal to the Confederate States of America who took up arms against the United States to perpetuate the institution of slavery?

I have no qualms about tearing down bronze Confederates on government land. and I descend from one of those men.
...
I have fantasized about sawing the Confederates off my family tree, thereby whittling the branches down to Swedish Baptists who would frown upon my godless, low-key life.* But it’s worth noting that my Confederate relatives were not American traitors. They were volunteers from another sovereign state.
I'm no stranger to run-on sentences, and clearly this woman has her "name" and her PC attitude in her pocket, but I would question why this thing was ever published in the state it is.

Shall we count the errors? Is it me, or is this hard to stumble through?

Remember: Readers are our friends.
--------------

* Aren't the secular Swedes known for leading "godless, low-key lives"?
Get your stereotypes straight before spewing on paper.