Sunday, August 29

Can We Be Honest?

Mr. Grant was kinda a dick to Mar most of the time and she took it off him, because he was The Boss.  I liked Murray myself.  Neither man's "humor" would be permitted in the workplace today -- both would be "bullies"...  Still Mr. Grant was more palatable to me than Captain Von Stuebing.  Just... Murray was the ladies' best friend in that workplace.

Lou Grant: What religion are you?
Mary Richards: Mr. Grant, I don't quite know how to say this, but you're not allowed to ask that when someone's applying for a job. It's against the law.
Lou Grant: Wanna call a cop?
Mary Richards: No.
Lou Grant: Good. Would you think I was violating your civil rights if I asked if you're married?
Mary Richards: Presbyterian.”

Lou Grant, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Season 1: Love is All Around

Lou: I haven't been this mad at anybody since…1944. Yeah…1944. That was the last time I let it all out.
Mary: Did anything—much—happen?
Lou: Huh? Oh. I captured a town in Germany.” 

Lou Grant, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Season 2: The Six-and-a-Half-Year Itch

 

“If you've noticed, I'm one of the few producers without a peptic ulcer. One of the reasons for that is, I'm able to delegate blame.”

 

“If I don't like you, I'll fire you! If you don't like me, I'll fire you!”

Lou Grant, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Season 1: Love is All Around

------------------------------

Ted[bragging] I even got cheered for cutting a ribbon at a supermarket!
Murray: That's because they didn't think you could do it.”

Ted Baxter, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Season 1: Anchorman Overboard

 

Ted[lamenting at the party that he isn't where he should be in life] I might as well face it. I'm a no-talent!
Murray: Did somebody put truth serum in the punch?”

Murray Slaughter, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Season 1: Party is Such Sweet Sorrow

 

Ted: I went to my reunion a couple of months ago. Famous Announcers School.
Murray: That's a correspondence course. Where did they have the reunion, in a mailbox?”
Murray Slaughter, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Season 2: Didn't You Used to Be . . . Wait . . . Don't Tell Me

 

 “Mary: [about Ted's gift to her] It's the thought that counts.
Murray: I know, and he has cheap thoughts.”

Steven Pritzker, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Season 1: Second Story Story

 

Of course, dumbbell Ted had his moments of levity too... 

“An ounce of perversion is worth a pound of cure.”

Ted Baxter, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Season 2: More Than Neighbors

-----------------------------------

"You're Gonna Make It After All..."

Trivia Note for Locals: Mary's apartment building in the last two years of the series was at... Cedar Riverside.  (Ir's mostly Somali Muslim living there today.)

For massive Mpls. housing complex, a $65M facelift | MPR NewsOur History - Cedar Riverside Adult Education Collaborative