Sunday, June 25

Who Runs This Stuff in a Newspaper?

A reader asks: Should I intervene if a friend has become obese?
-------
Come on. Are you going to take the potato chip bag away, or what?
Putting questions on your news website like this cheapens the look of a newspaper for readers who don't consume crap.  What's next?  ("Why I'm Not a Liberal Catholic?" Lol, in what world does that pass as new fodder and not a private diary entry?)
A reader asks:  My friend is Jewish, but I am evangelical and know only Jesus saves. Should I clue them in?  A reader asks:  I don't like the color my neighbor painted their house.  Should I suggest a better color scheme to help "improve" them as I see fit?  How about:  My child and his wife named our grandbaby a "modern" name that I don't like.  Can I suggest they change it and offer an inheritance "incentive" if they do or don't?

Get it?  Some "questions" you just do not run in a respectable newspaper.  Like debating whether trans people exist, when it is a known condition in the medical field for decades. Something about lack of hormones in uetro, they think, but there have been plenty of legitimate scientific studies of self-reporting people that all the latest "I was this but then I grew out of it" and second-hand stories about personal observation (that's not science, pundit people!) can not override.
Maybe break the site up into a Hard News website for people who read the NYT for news, and a features place where all these questions (and can we be honest? content fillers like the big team graphic project on Barbie's Dreamhouse through the Years) ... can be explored without assaulting the sense of people just coming to the site for Headline News happening in the real world we share?
You could put all the non-normal 'rainbow people" news there too, without excluding so many TradNewsReaders who are turned off by your paper people telling them who they are and putting them in boxes based on personal characteristics.  Don't help divide us anymore than we already are?