Friday, November 18

Helluva game

It was good to be outdoors in the cold. True football watching weather. Somerset kept the ball on the ground for most of the first half, and were racking up the yards, but kept turning the ball over. 10-0 Lancaster up at the half.

The Spartans came back in the second though. A touchtown and two point conversion. Good defensive stand, and another touchdown. Lancaster was cheap, lots of penalty yards, a few facemask calls. Still, with a 4th down and 6, they connected with a receiver who ran along the sidelines taking the ball in for the touchdown. Somerset still had a chance with about 3 minutes left on the clock. They got a few first downs, but then, with a 4th and 1, they chose to again put it in the air, instead of sticking with what got them there -- a solid ground game. Their receiver didn't have a chance as the ball was well overthrown, and Lancaster just played out the clock with over a minute left.

All in all, a very good prep game. I was glad the Spartans came back, and gave Lancaster a run. The local media reports this small-town team (Div. 5 remember) has won state 5 times now, and sent half the town to watch the game. It was cold, and good to be amongst like minded fans who love the game at that level. The slightly post-full moon made for a pretty walk back to the car -- left the truck at home yesterday due to the more densely populated neighborhood around the stadium where I parked.

Tomorrow's the deer rifle hunting opener across the state. Personally, I'll be at a PFC hearing, same as last Thursday and Friday evenings. Don't get me wrong -- I do love my work and see the importance of it. Tomorrow's also the Miami Book Fair, arguably the best in the nation. That would be my first choice.

I'm anticipating a warm and loving holiday, full of thanks. No sarcasm intended. We'll each bring a dish or two -- if you're local, might I recommend the Norske Nook Dutch Apple pie out of Osseo? -- as well as good conversation and genuine cheer. Between the weather, the company, and the food, Thanksgiving is one of my favorites. Family members will be at the Macy's parade and pre-parade activities this year; I'm wishing for decent temperatures for them, though they are hearty enough and can dress warmly.

Here's my wish for readers this year: May you be thankful for what you have, get more of whatever it is you want, and continue to find happiness throughout your year. Love one another, but that last one goes without saying.

See you back here in December; you're always welcome to read my modest thoughts.