Wednesday, June 14

3-2, first(!) period

Edmonton.
I like the rule changes. Some of these shots and the passing are beautiful. Penalties being called, power play scoring. And the message under the ice, in prime position just off the center line? "Thank you fans."
Ah, hockey.
In June.

Now stay with me here, as I make a case for it as America's new sport. It's fast. Yes, soccer/futbol can be exciting ... but you have to sit through a lot of boring games for those precious moments. Baseball? It's best days are behind it. Too... predictable in the way backgammon loses its allure after you figure out how to play the odds in positioning your men. It's slow, and really, not all that exciting to watch the variations in the scoring. ok, ok. That may be a little strong -- see me in September. But at a few hours, it can get to be a bit too long, you have to admit. Unless we're talking a 74-pitch game. And basketball I like, don't get me wrong, but not the whole game. Just the end.

Sports snob? Not really. I just have limited time, and a two-hour block is about as long as can be spared, not "multi-tasking". And if you really like the game, you want to watch it, not just look up every now and then. These new rule changes are helping hockey in that way. You want to keep your eye continually on the action...

It has international flavor, nothing wrong with that, and as I've said before, I like the cadence, the announcing, the "sound" of the action, which calls to mind cold, still, dark nights. Now it's a summer night, windows open, 3-2 after the 1st. My vote's for hockey...

UPDATE: Tied 'er up! These guys are scrapping around the net, just poking and poking until something gets in.