Monday, January 12

Happy birthday Mo-Town !

If you've got a good friend nearing that half century mark this month... just remind 'em:

"Motown has a lot of slow, romantic songs for people in their 40s and mid-50s who want to feel 25 again for a couple of hours. And if you're on a date, you're guaranteed to get lucky."

To quote a Smokey Robinson and the Miracles song from the Memory Lane playlist, "Ooh, baby, baby."
...
"It's got that sound that everyone can relate to, the beat and the melody," offers vocalist Gregory "Popeye" Alexander. "And they've got the greatest hooks on the planet.


Lol... I just added the link (kicked off the library computer too soon), and read the rest of Leslie's piece:
'You Keep Me Hanging On,' The Supremes: When I was little, I used to think, "Diana, if he don't really love you, why do you need him to set you free? Just stand up for yourself, punch him in the nose, adjust your wig and leave!" But now, I understand that impulse that ties you to a charming manipulator that you just can't shake. Of course, I still support the punching/wig plan. But I get it.

'You Really Got A Hold On Me,' The Miracles: Sort of like Diana and her wig, Smokey's singing about the conundrum of not liking someone all that much while still really, really loving them. This makes sense only when you've gone through it a couple of times.

'The Tracks of My Tears,' The Miracles: Smokey, he knew the suffering.

'Living For The City,' Stevie Wonder: At 24, living in one room on a mattress in a questionable neighborhood eating tater tots and Rice-A-Roni, I finally got what Stevie was singing about. Living just enough, just e-nough for the ci-taaaay! And the tater tots.

'I Hear A Symphony,' The Supremes: Of course, Motown's not all bad relationships and subsisting on processed foods. I weep for anyone who has never, even once looked into someone's face and heard violins and angels and birds singing. This stage sometimes only lasts a few weeks before the "Whenever you're near, I hear a screeching jackal" stage.