Thursday, October 28

Barry Keeps Up the Funny.

Continuing to break character as he juggles his leadership / entertainer roles, with an eyeball toward those important popularity rankings, the prez gives it everything he's got:
"That's probably the best you'll do out of me today."

I have been to this point unwilling to sign on to same-sex marriage primarily because of my understandings of the traditional definitions of marriage. But I also think you're right that attitudes evolve, including mine. I think that it is an issue that I wrestle with and think about because I have a whole host of friends who are in gay partnerships. I have staff members who are in committed, monogamous relationships, who are raising children, who are wonderful parents. And I care about them deeply. And so while I'm not prepared to reverse myself here, sitting in the Roosevelt Room at 3:30 in the afternoon, I think it's fair to say that it's something that I think a lot about. That's probably the best you'll do out of me today.

Now call me a cynic,
but how many of you want to guess that he'll stop accepting this current system -- legal rights for the gay elites who can afford to privately contract for them -- his "evolution" completed right on cycle, before he himself re-runs for the job in 2012 with a fresh slew of promises of change we can wait on?

Honesty... is hardly ever heard...

ADDED: Even Althouse gets it:
SUDBAY: So I have another gay question. (Laughter.)

THE PRESIDENT: It’s okay, man. (Laughter.)
I am resisting typing curse words here. Look at (questioner) Sudbay abasing himself. Now these rights he must care about are reduced to jocose "gay questions." Something to laugh at. There indeed was a time, and it was not too long ago, that the idea of gay rights itself seemed funny to people. And Sudbay allows himself to get pushed back toward that place. The President treats the remark as if it were an apology. He says "It's okay, man." Man. See? He's a cool guy. He's taming Sudbay.
...
You know, your position on the rights of others should not depend on whether they are your friends. That's not the way law works. People have rights whether you care about them or not. And rights don't spring into existence because you care about the people who want them.
Well said.