Wednesday, January 19

The Opposite of the Invisible Man?

The T.M.I. woman:

I was not only including rape in the curriculum (unheard of at the time), but was actually telling students of my own experience in the criminal justice system as a rape victim and how it shaped my views on the law. I thought it was a nice piece.
...
Someone called me at home, claiming to be a student of mine, and threatened to rape me again — because I probably enjoyed it — by semester's end. ... The dean of Harvard Law School at the time, the late Jim Vorenberg, graciously found excuses to come visit me and sit and see if the phone would ring as we waited for the semester to end.

One of my colleagues was one of the world's experts in psychiatry and the law, including issues relating to predicting dangerousness. I asked his advice. Should I be scared? Should I be terrified?
...
If the nattering nabobs of narcissism could stop talking about themselves long enough to focus on what actually happened in Arizona, perhaps we could find some way to help those who are seriously ill before others pay the price.

I know we fear copycat killers. Who knew so many would identify with the victims, recounting their own fears after being on the receiving end of nasty words?

Perhaps this explains the visceral dislike by some of Sarah Palin, who exudes strength and refuses, it seems, to put herself in the womanly victim role, no matter how many verbal cheap shots she and her family members absorb.


ADDED: I wonder if the client in the excerpt below remembers consenting to having his HIPPA protected medical information and legal dealings made public as column fodder?
I recently tried to help a young man who desperately needs mental health assistance. He suffers from uncontrollable epilepsy, which is now complicated by episodes of what appears to be uncontrolled rage. He threatened his mother with a knife, and when police arrived, he literally could not remember making the threat. He says people are talking to him inside his head.

We sat for hours at the county clinic, but he doesn't have Medical or Social Security Disability. In an interview for which neither his sister nor I was present, he told someone that he owns one-fifth of a house in Central America (which he doesn't). That was enough to disqualify him. While I appeal that, the best we can do is a private doctor who has agreed to see him for reduced rates every other week.