Saturday, July 16

Turtle Season Opener in Wisconsin.

Actually it was yesterday; I'm just slow. *rimshot*
No non-resident harvest though, so don't be booking those tickets just yet...

Now I've lived in the state for a number of years and didn't know there was a turtle season until I read it Tuesday night in our sports pages. Who knew?

No, I won't be hunting. More like weeding, and trimming sun leaves, as we're getting plenty of rain this morning, to follow up on yesterday's soaking. Good thing -- we're going to get plenty hot in the coming days, with a stretch and no break. (The first few days feel fine, but after 5 or 6, you see the people here just aren't accustomed to the heat. Not built for it, the way our Southern neighbors are.)

I'm more worried about the plants. Imagine the peas might not make it -- and boy oh boy, are there plenty to pick. The plants indeed self supported, we've no trouble with "extra pickers" up here, and I imagine this rain, followed by a good day of sunshine, will have them at maximum juicyness for the mature sweet taste.

I brought some home prematurely last weekend, for the children to munch on and my folks, but my father pointed out: Best to ... wait on now, for the sweetest taste. He's right too. They were good then, but they're great now...

Plenty of broccoli coming in too, and there'll be an abundant tomato crop from the 6 starters my Dad gave me after he returned from Florida and got them going under lights this Spring, plus all the Romas I put in myself.

Happy Saturday and good luck. (They tell me those turtles are faster than you might think...)

PS. It's a working weekend for me: the Barron County fair runs this weekend in Rice Lake. Did you know, we're the only county fair in the state that still features two nights of horse harness races?? Now ya do...