Tuesday, August 16

Good Stuff, man.

Now, I suspect he's just playing the "buffoon" card... I'ze jest a dumbbell black man. It's common amongst the black kids, but really, I thought you outgrew it at some point.

I simply can't believe this kind of writing is for real:

" This isn't about impressing the French--I aspect my accent to mocked--it's about how I interpret the world. Language is a big part of it."


I expect your accent won't be mocked all that much, not if you're making a sincere effort to learn the language, and aren't just playing the "me's jest a dumbb black men shuffling 'long trying to's learn you're White People grammer and all..."
Anyway, I took French in my first semester of college. I got an F, and my long descent out of the ranks of the University was on. But there moments like this evening, when I find myself repeatedly writing out "A bientot J'espere" or wondering how you pronounce "Tienes" and am totally struck by what I missed.

There moments? There be moments? There are moments?

Little words matter so much. Assuming of course, your goal is to communicate with English-speaker readers when you write in English, and not jest put on a "shucks, me so silly!" writerly act, dropping the prepositions and modifiers that serve as traditional signposts for the reader.

Somewhere, somebody must have (erroneously) learned, if they have to go slow and reread your every sentence, it means you're ... deep or something. That, or not yet communicating your ideas effectively in writing, so that it's all about your self-created "style" of lingoing, and not so much about the substance of your ideas. Can't the Atlantic afford a proofreader, if this really is a remedial writer, and he's not just putting on an act here?

Gotta admit: (It is)
Entertaining though.
Keep it up, but add the *humor* hashtag, so we's all know you jest playin' with us, eh? ;-)

-------------------

ADDED: Can I get an "a" in there somewhere? (an "I"?) Missing words make the readers guess what trying to communicate us.
It's not like finished article--that's the beauty and the weakness of the thing.