Tuesday, June 24

I need you, I need you every single day
and I want you...
I want you every single way...
And it's Love! It's love...
It's la la la la la la, it's love.


I kept waiting during the hockey playoffs for somebody on the blogs or in the reviewer's chairs to mention those fabulous Heineken ads. There was a time, when that was my drink. No more, but brilliant commercials really.

Hope your summers are going well. We've got the garden in here. Fewest plants ever, latest date (mid June) to put in the starter plants. But oh ... it really is shaping up to be the best ever. 6 Romas are already bushing out, some showing flowers. 30 other assorted tomato plants, including one my neighbor here gave me in early May that I potted and even brought in a few nights there when the temps dropped. I planted the whole thing in the ground this weekend -- at 3 feet, it towers over the other things in the garden.

There's cucumbers, 3 cauliflower plants, a row of corn, and two neat rows of volunteers from last year's unharvested onion crop. Funny how things turn out like that: weeds get so tall or the bulbs lie dormant so they don't get pulled one year, the next they're in plenty early and golf-ball sized already. Plenty of eggplants, a full row I think, and that's about it. Spread out enough to accomodate growth and get the tiller easily between rows. Just like Norm's been telling us to do it for years, when we bring home too many starters but don't realize it until you start getting your hands dirty separating them in the trays and putting them in the holes. It's those 3-packs that throw me -- the trick is to count the stalks, not the containers. And remember that everything grows and spread them out early. Maybe I'll have pictures later in the season, maybe not. We'll see...

My Dad's leukemia has been stable these last months, but now he's fighting an early summer cold it sounds like, lethargic and sleeping well, but no fever like last week. If you pray, and you've got room, keep him in your prayers. He's young still, 76, and we'd like to keep him around as long as humanly possible. Brave man, independent, no false airs, and knows how to do stuff. He bought the oldest granddaughter a fishing rod for her birthday, and she's got a great cast already for a second/third grader.

Finally, I saw the eagles again: the bald one and a brown and white juvenile who was mimicking the older one in their circular flight, presumably learning to fish. I know so much of this just doesn't translate -- in photo, in film (I saw a great documentary of an eagle photographer, but it just can't capture it all) -- it's just not the same senses as being there. But I'll tell you this: I so understand the Thunderbird symbol now that was my high school mascot. It's the perfect shape of the eagle (or bird of prey) with the jagged feathers at the sides and bottoms, beak turned, as seen passing directly overhead.

That's all I've got for now. Rest assured, the summer's been busy, the roads are less crowded with the gas holding pennies under $4. And I've still got that rebate check coming and all... (It's Love... it's lalalala love!)


Take care, and thanks for all the fish!
-------------------

ps. You think George Carlin gives a damn what pretty words you write after he's gone? Me, I was just glad to catch him a year or so ago in Madison. Ditto Lily Tomlin. Classics man, and sadly remembered in the most conventional ways. He knew he had it. The words, man. Not the false facades.

Shout it if makes you feel good
Oh yes indeed...



UPDATE: See maybe it is just my taste -- what I like and think will be popular nobody else much sees... These comments cracked me up.

in the beginning the black couple gets two beers then only have one to pass along, homeboy must have drank the other one

it makes me think that no one wants the beer, great song BTW =/

Heineken should fire the person that approved this...makes me never want to drink it again.

No! They are not trying to get rid of it, they are walking miles to SHARE it. A lesson for humanity, IMHO....