Friday, June 13

Goodbye Tim, we hardly knew ya...

God rest his soul, but like w/Sen. Kennedy, my sad thoughts going out to the man and his family have less to do with me being a fan, and more I suspect with me being an empathizing human.

Never cared much for Russert's journalistic style. Too "like me, like me" for my tastes. And it always seemed he was more playing a role, than doing the job of a real journalist like those that came before him. His signature style, of course, was to clutch a past quote and confront the interviewee, as if he has seized upon -- every week -- some smoking gun that contradicted the politician or public figure's current position.

Too black and white for me. Not enough smoky shades of gray, acknowledging the reality of the world as it is. Instead, Tim would doggedly "follow up" in that pseudo-aggressive verbal manner of his, but not listening to what the other person was saying.

See, that's what separates the best fact gatherers from those who are well rehearsed and made up and putting on a show: the ability to listen, and know when to abandon that past quote and dig into what the person is saying now. What's being said, not who's saying it.

In his Boomer big brother "like me, like me" way, Russert helped usher in the era of softer gentler newsreporting. In the mainstream press at least, an alternative to the harder edged talk radio and cable news outlets.

But look around at what that style of celebrity-like journalism has brought us. Like what you see, really?

I'll tell you this... In years to come, America is going to have to face basic economic truths, in terms of our entitlement programs for starters. We're all going to hear some things we don't like. And maybe having the truths delivered by big old teddy bears who always seem as if they're excited to be summing up the expert opinions, as if that's the key to understanding the way the real world works -- well I can understand it: Life is tough, and can be ugly, but when you can acknowledge that -- with no idealistic spin and no sugar coating or desire not to offend with your truths, well then you can start appreciating the beauty better.

If having a non-offensive guy in a clean shirt and tie feed you a kinder gentler version of asking questions and getting softer answers is what we're temporarily about, I can go with that.

But in the long run, do we remember the journalist for his celebrity, or for how he actually did ... on the job? God rest Tim Russert, and especially his family undergoing the sudden death in the family. I can be sincere in my sadness and respect, yet remain resolutely unchanged in my honest evaluation of his contributions. (Ditto w/Sen. Kennedy.) I wish Tim had been a bit of a tougher journalist, maybe taken it a bit more seriously in terms of results. Lots of people put in the hours "working hard", of course, which doesn't always correlate with honestly measured results. You were a man of your times, and your generation, Tim. God rest ye.


*Not worth investigating further but personally, I hope "Big Russ" too is already gone, and doesn't have to bear the unique pain of burying his boy. Mothers somehow, they really are stronger at times like this, if I can say that in a generalizing way. Something in the genes, or biological role maybe...

-------------------------------

IN OTHER NEWS: How 'bout those Irish voters?

You give something away too quickly, as many believe the U.S. did signing the NAFTA treaty, and only later do you realize how pretty much impossible it is to turn back the clock and reclaim sovereignty. I think the Irish, for one, still appreciate what precious drippings that meat can provide...