Wednesday, July 1

Working from Home.


I applaud children who are good at independent play, and don't need constant "entertainment". Especially by grown-ups.  They develop so much in their own little worlds, learning how to become independent, and also to work with others.   Let the children be, and learn from them too.  They are testing themselves, setting limits, and getting to know their worlds, and sometimes, they really don't need our hovering "help".   (I'm not a parent myself, so of course, I still have all the answers as they haven't been tested in practice. ;-)  Still, I think one of the big parts of parenthood -- and grandparenthood, if you're involved in raising your grandchildren daily and sharing the parenting -- is to let them be, and begin to develop into themselves.  Bigger task than it sounds like, I think.  Also I've learned, stop buying toys and other stimulants when they have plenty...  they want time and attention, and at this age?  To MOVE those little bodies. ("I like to move it, move it...!") You can always tell the baby-fats who aren't on their feet much... they seem "bloated" at the ankles.  On the feet then, and active.  Get those metabolisms working -- plus active children sleep better, so you don't get those dark circles that perhaps grown-ups have earned as stressful racoon eye bags, but not children.  We need more independent, resiliant children in healthy bodies in America, I think.   You really can't gift them that too.

ADDED:  She's 3!